Sportspage 2018 All-Performance varsity team
Based on performance in front of Sportspage during 2017-18 season:
1. Griffin Morris - Holly Pond
2. Brendan Flanigan - Hanceville
3. Rylan Jones - West Point
4. Nic Williams - Cullman
4. Luke Yarbrough - Fairview
1. Christian Peterson - St. Bernard
2. Colby Sullins - West Point
3. Issac McDonald - Good Hope
4. Katch Johnson - Vinemont
1. Bryson Fletcher - Fairview
2. Kyler Chaney - Holly Pond
3. Damion Johnson - Hanceville
4. Austin Dubberly - West Point
1. RJ Evans - Hanceville
2. Elijah Price - St. Bernard
3. Zane Mandley - Cullman
4. McKinley Garrrett - Holly Pond
1. Hunter McClendon - Cold Springs
2. Dylan Finch - Cullman
3. Josh Stanley - Hanceville
1. Raiden Morgan - Hanceville
2. Devyn Tankersley - Holly Pond
3. Drew Morton - Cullman
4. Drew Maddox - Good Hope
5. Matt Dixon - Good Hope
1. Zeke McDonald - Hanceville (Jr)
2. John Christian Rose - St. Bernard (So)
3. Micah Calvert - Cold Springs (8th)
4. Caleb Guthrey - St. Bernard (So)
Cole Maddox - Good Hope
Kolton Sapp - West Point
Truman Boyd - Fairview
Landon Freeman - Good Hope
PLAYER OF THE YEAR:
Griffin Morris of Holly Pond - Morris was one of the top offensive performers all season in finding numerous ways of scoring. His ability to drive through defenses, plus a steady stroke from three-point range and outstanding accuracy at the foul line. Morris shot better than 90 percent from the stripe and was tough to defend for being left handed. Morris earned the Joe Shults Award during the Cullman County Tournament.
Holly Pond posted 60 wins in 66 games while Morris was on the varsity for the past two seasons.
COACH OF THE YEAR:
Daniel Wakefield of Hanceville - A total of 19 wins out of 28 games for a victory percentage of .678 was accomplished by the Bulldogs this season.
Hanceville won its Thanksgiving Tournament, celebrating its 35th anniversary. The Bulldogs went into Christmas at 8-4, experienced a slump of four losses between January 5 through the 29th.
The slump was corrected with six consecutive wins in February, including the 3A, Area 12 championship, a sub-regional victory, plus the defeat of No. 5 Holly Pond in the semifinals of the Northwest Regional. The Bulldogs won their last five games they played at Lane Horton Gym with their only road games in February going a mile up the road to Tom Drake Coliseum at Wallace State Community College.
Photo 1: Holly Pond's Griffin Morris (Player of the year) (Photo by Cullman Co Athletics)
Photo 2: Daniel Wakefield of Hanceville (Coach of the year)
Photo 3: Rylan Jones of West Point in county tournament semifinal game Jan. 26.
Photo 4: Elijah Price of St. Bernard vs. Cold Springs Jan. 29
Photo 5: RJ Evans of Hanceville vs. Vinemont Feb. 6.
Photo 6: Brendan Flanigan of Hanceville vs. Holly Pond in NW Regional Feb. 17.
Photo 7: County all-tournament team Jan. 27.
Sportspage photos by Johnny Thornton